Thursday, May 8, 2008

All right, so spring itself has decided to take a little break and give us chilly and damp.  It's guaranteed that the minute I put away my warm coats and boots, there's a cold snap and I get them out again.  Ah, Canada's unpredictability - flooding in New Brunswick, freezing in the Okanagan.  The only thing certain, as they say, are the two Canadian seasons: winter and road work.

I went to see "December Man" a few nights ago - for those of you in Toronto, I recommend that you do not miss it.  It's about the aftermath of the Polytechnic murders in Montreal, once again based on a true story: playwright Colleen Murphy has breathed life and heart into the individuals and events behind a newspaper clipping.  The acting of Brian Dooley and especially Nicola Lipman, as a middle-aged Quebecois couple blind-sided by events beyond their control, is as good as it gets.  After a production like this, I feel replete, as if I've just had a very good meal.   Which I have.

And on Sunday, I watched "Cranford," a British drama set in an English village in the 1840's, starring the world's best actresses - Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins, Imelda Staunton.  How I love those mobile, intelligent, extraordinary faces.  Just as well the weather's not great - let's watch television and go to the theatre.  Who needs tulips?   


No comments:

Post a Comment