Monday, January 12, 2009

Good news for students

I have just come from my first Ryerson class of the term - and a wonderful group it is too. But it's a very big group, and I have asked the powers that be if we can subdivide this class into two groups, one meeting Mondays and one Tuesdays. Then there will be two evening "True to Life" classes, and any of you who have not been able to register can now do so - there is room in both. Please contact either me or Ryerson (in a few days) for further information.

Yesterday I said goodbye to palm trees, lacy purple scallop shells nestled in the sand and herons fishing in the mist. Back to Toronto in January - slush and snow, freezing air, Canadians bundled up in black and rushing back to shelter. We are hardy folk. If this wonderful country had a better climate, it would be inundated - overflowing with population. Only those strong enough to get through this gruelling climate can stick it here. Because it is hard, it's hard, the cold, the lack of light and sun, the endless snowstorms, the danger and difficulty of walking on ice, the difficulty of everything. We're tough and we should be proud of it. Today I missed the birds and the warmth on my skin and much else - Tangelos, anyone? - but I am very glad to be home in this inhospitable and marvellous place. 




No comments:

Post a Comment