Wednesday, July 7, 2010

okay okay here I am

Got an email today from friend Bruce in B.C., to whom I'd just written a quick note. "Nice to hear from you," he wrote back, "since you haven't blogged since Monday."

I felt guilty. Omigod, he's disappointed in me. And then I thought, Wait a minute here, this is Wednesday morning! I've taken ONE DAY OFF. And that was only because my friend and personal Genius Chuck was here working on my computer all Tuesday evening. Mon dieu. When I started this blog in 2007, I wrote once a month, if that. And now, sometimes, twice a day! I'm taking mental notes all the time - must blog about that. I may one day have to run screaming into the night to escape the monster blog.

But not tonight. Here goes - I have ten minutes till Jon Stewart.

Another steamy day. I thought of my mother and her 90-year old sister Do in Ottawa - the poor things only have about two months of the year when they can go outside. The rest of the time, it's either too hot or too cold. We were huddled inside today, just as if there'd been a blizzard raging outside. But we were sheltered by our air conditioners, not our furnaces. Survival in Canada - a huddling handbook.

Terrible stories emerging about police abuse at the G20. What happened to our trusty boys in blue? First they let the bad guys freely bash in windows and wreak havoc, and then they leapt into action and arrested everything with a pulse. I'm glad they're talking about an investigation into police behaviour. They've got some 'splaining to do.

Two other words before I rush in to the TV: mangoes and Ringo. Ringo is 70 today. Let me state that again - Ringo Starr is seventy years old. That makes me feel incredibly old, too. But then there are mangoes to cheer me up. Somehow I lived many years of my life without this fabulous, luscious fruit. If you start to get depressed about being old, or about police brutality or the weather, just eat a mango and I guarantee, you'll feel better. The world will turn bright gold. Or maybe just your fingers and your mouth, but that's enough.

There, Bruce. HAPPY NOW?


No comments:

Post a Comment