Thursday, October 28, 2010

class


If I need something to cheer me up on this gloomy Friday, I'll just look at this - one of my memoir classes (with a few missing.) The picture was taken for a student who has to leave, to deal with cholera in Haiti. As I said to them that night, "Isn't it a marvel that on the first day of class, you sit with a bunch of strangers, and by halfway through, you know each other so well and trust each other so much?"

I was thinking again about fiction and non; how during my decade as a professional actress, it became clear that I didn't want to spend my life pretending to be someone else, some invented character; I wanted to discover my own mind and heart, to explore what I had come to understand. Limited as that focus may be, I still feel that way. And my job is to encourage groups of interesting people, like this, to make the same journey of discovery - not so much into the imagination, though that's part of it, as directly into the soul.

1 comment:

  1. This is a communication platform, thank everybody to share your information here.I greatly benefit from your articles every time I read one.Thank you for your sharing,your post let me know a lot of information and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete