Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Vancouver bliss

What a city - in the sun, there's nowhere like it. There are two huge sailboats going by right now, white sails billowing, seabirds calling, fresh winds blowing and the colours of spring everywhere. I love it.

But as I walk around - today downtown, yesterday, with Chris, walking around False Creek to the East End - I have no idea where I am, everything has changed so much. I moved away in 1983, and now the place is unrecognizable. But gorgeous, if extremely expensive. Just read an article in the New Yorker about Chinese billionaires snapping up property in Vancouver so their children can go to school, work and live here. And that over-the-top wealth is visible all over the city. Luckily, a few paupers from the theatre have managed to hang onto their homes.

Yesterday, Chris and I met at 4 for champagne in his bright, tiny, exquisitely tasteful apartment, where he has refinished every detail, including walls of Carrera marble, a designer fishtank and a blonde cat who matches the pine floor.
 And then we walked by the water, had a quick bite and went to the theatre.
We saw a new musical, Onegin, based on the Pushkin story and the opera by Tchaikovsky. At first, I resisted - it was wild and crazy, all over the place in style, content and music. But by the second act, I marvelled at the energy, commitment and courage of the actors and the power of the piece. Those Russians - such drama! And this group has talent to burn, including a singer-actor called Alessandro Juliani, whose father, John Juliani, a producer at the CBC, hired me in the Seventies for several radio jobs. He died some years ago but has left a great legacy in his handsome, talented son, who has won five Jessie awards.

Today Chrissie is busy and I walked downtown and around and back. Later, more champagne with him, then I'm going to an Arts Club opening at the new Stanley Theatre, which I've never seen. Last night we ran into Bernard Cuffling, an actor who has worked in this city for decades and who, amazingly, knew me right away, though when we last met, I was 31. I am re-immersing myself in a past life, my theatre life; that's what I'm here for. One reason, anyway. The other is simply looking out the window.

5 comments:

  1. There is a certain point you reach in life where you think that there is no hope. i was at that point when my girlfriend for 4 years just walked away from me. but thanks to the DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE who helped me bring back my husband who left me for another girl. i did everything as instructed by Dr.Agbazara,And after 48hours my husband came back begging me on his kneels to accept him back. if you know your love is what saving contact DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE on email: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or call him on +2348104102662

    NATASHA
    TORONTO

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a certain point you reach in life where you think that there is no hope. i was at that point when my girlfriend for 4 years just walked away from me. but thanks to the DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE who helped me bring back my husband who left me for another girl. i did everything as instructed by Dr.Agbazara,And after 48hours my husband came back begging me on his kneels to accept him back. if you know your love is what saving contact DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE on email: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or call him on +2348104102662

    NATASHA
    TORONTO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of how to get your ex back? the best way is to contact kwaletemple@gmail.com or call his number +2348056141089 and he will bring your ex back and make him/her to be yours forever coz since my man came back to me, he has been so committed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Dr Ogudugu a Traditional healer, herbalist and spell caster. I use real magical powers to fight demons, evil spirits and super villains. Are you suffering in silence? does everything in your life seems to be going wrong no matter how hard you try to make things better? have Questions about love, or career let me help you am a born gifted traditional healer and master psychic. I 've experience in exploration of the past, present and future. I can help you with any of those problems that are making your life difficult and miserable,do you have many enemies some enemies that you are not even aware of? are you having many obstacles in your life? Is your love,relationship,marriage life falling apart? is your life facing financial ruin ? i specialize in reuniting.Email me about your problems and i'll be of great help to you on my my personal email address: GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Ruth I want to let the world know about Prophet Osula the Great spell caster that brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost. Prophet Osula used his powerful spell to put a smile on my face by bringing back my man with his spell, at first i thought i was dreaming when my husband came back to me on his knees begging me to forgive him and accept him back and even since then he loves me more than i ever expected so i made a vow to my self the i will let the World know about Prophet Osula because he is a God on earth. Do you have problems in your relationship ? have your partner broke up with you and you still love and want him back ? Do you have problem with your finance ? or do you need help of any kind then contact Prophet Osula today for i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you just as he helped me. Prophet Osula email is: ayelalashrine@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete