Thursday, July 14, 2016

ArtSpin

It’s 9.30 p.m. and I am grateful to be home drinking wine as the rain pours down. I was at something called ArtSpin tonight, riding my bike along with hundreds of others to see art installations - it was a lot of fun except that there was a thunderstorm and we got completely drenched and the art wasn't so great. I left early to get home before dark, my friend Richard with whom I went is still with the group somewhere on the other side of town, and it’s pouring again, just teeming. Hundreds of cyclists looking at art in the pouring rain on the other side of town. Thank God I’m home drinking wine and talking to you.
 The lion bike
Before the ArtSpin ride began
En route - stopping traffic, much honking of horns by enraged drivers as hundreds of bikes took over the streets. Yeah! We stopped at CAMH, the centre for mental health, for a dance program, and went down two levels in the Honest Ed's parking garage for another event. But yes, in the pouring rain, not so much fun. 

It had the feeling of the Occupy groups - kind of anarchic and peaceful but still getting stuff done. But mostly anarchic. People over 60 were definitely a rare breed, but everyone was welcome; a guy was transported in a rickshaw so he could play his saxophone for us, there was lots of music, we stopped to see people dance and do other interesting things - I love Toronto! And am grateful to Richard, and Jean-Marc who's away today, for including me in some of the amazing things they do.

And here's a summer bouquet from the garden:

4 comments:

  1. I think it's great, all these events that you attend. The over-60 crowd...definitely anarchists! And why wouldn't they be? They are children of the rebellious 1960s. It was the over-60 crowd that voted BREXIT! (So pleased to see Theresa May as prime minister.)

    Anyway, what I wanted to ask was the rent of your apartment and photos as I have a friend who is planning to go to T.O.

    Cheers, Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliet, you are the only person I know who is pleased about Brexit. Everyone else, including my British friend Penny, who is over 60, is devastated. Richard who knows a great deal about British politics says this may be the end of Great Britain. However. To each his own. I will send you info via email. Cheers on a beautiful July day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm another over 60 who is also horrified at the prospect of BREXIT, currently in sunny Italy, wondering why we're abandoning our European cousins. Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carole, I totally agree with you. It's madness, and the whole world will pay.

    ReplyDelete