Friday, October 28, 2016

the Economist loves Canada

The esteemed Economist has written an article about the great success that is Canada. Not perfect, as the article points out, far from it - but tolerant, courageous and measured in a way now enviable to the rest of the world, our sister countries dealing with the frightening spectres of Trump and Marine LePen. Hooray Canada which elected Justin Trudeau, who is still spectacularly high in the polls, and as far as I'm concerned, deserves to be. Another mind-boggling change the other day - appointing nine non-partisan people to the Senate, citizens who are simply smart, knowledgeable and engaged. Imagine that! As I said - mind-boggling.

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21709305-it-uniquely-fortunate-many-waysbut-canada-still-holds-lessons-other-western

It's a beautiful day - perhaps you can tell I'm in a better mood. Still no washing machine - now they tell me next Tuesday. I will not hold my breath. The pile of laundry grows. Still no TCM on my Rogers cable, which requires another tedious phone call. But the sun is shining. My garden helper Dan came this morning and we ripped up impatiens, culled the rest of the little tomatoes to ripen inside, washed and pruned the outdoor plants to bring them in - and now it's warm enough to leave them out! Confusing, as fall in this wonderful country always is.

Last night, the rehearsal for the next So True reading event, on Sunday. How proud I am of the eight readers - beautiful stories, beautifully read - and our spectacular host Jason Allen. Tonight, dinner with a dear friend from lo these many years. Tomorrow at 2, my friend Piers Hemmingsen is speaking at the Beatles exhibit at St. Lawrence Market. I'll be there. And right now, I'm going to tackle page one of the Moonlight Sonata.

I thank you god for most this amazing day.

PS My good mood did not last. Spent almost an hour on the phone with Rogers and then almost as much time with Bell - so @#$#@ confusing, and nothing resolved! Then I got a confusing Enbridge bill that makes no sense. My face is more blotchy than ever, with frustration. Time to move to a desert island.

No comments:

Post a Comment