Wednesday, January 11, 2017

another student in the Globe

It's funny that the very week the U of T course was cancelled, my students keep popping up in the Globe and Mail. Today, another glorious essay that I remember clearly from class last year. It hits hard, so beautifully written by Martha ter Kuile. Don't miss it.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/facts-and-arguments/after-my-husband-died-i-found-it-hard-to-part-with-his-leathershoes/article33565860/?ord=1

Lynn, who co-wrote the Lives Lived for Gwen Setterfield, read yesterday's blog post about the article and emailed me:
Taking your class was an important moment in my life. I will always be grateful for your leadership. It set the tone for the group and the friendships that grew from it. 

Thank you very much, Lynn, I needed that, and I'm looking forward to meeting a whole new group of writers next Monday.

P.S. I just wrote to Martha to congratulate her, and she wrote back, "Yes, what a thrill to have it there. But the real thing was the writing. I cannot thank you enough for the encouragement and laughter of that class last year. It has meant so much!"

I'm beginning to think I might, just might, be good at this. 

PS. The current New Yorker just arrived, with its stunning cover. This magazine is food for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment