Monday, February 26, 2018

Pepperland

Oh Rogers, my internet provider, for this I pay you hundreds a month? Last night, Jean-Marc and Richard were due to come over to watch the final episode of "Victoria" - not a great series but entertaining with the usual amazing sets and costumes. I had a few other things flagged to watch, including the end of the Olympics, and then I was going to blog to you. Luckily, I turned on the TV in advance to check - no TV. Black screen.

And then I saw - no internet. Unplugged the TV, unplugged the modem and replugged both - nothing. My cellphone wouldn't pick up messages; this is the problem when everything - internet, TV, cellphone - is with the same company! Completely out of touch, except for the archaic technology of the telephone. I called my neighbours to say don't come, and sat in tech-less silence. Read the newspaper. Read my book, Rachel Cusk's "Transit" which I am enjoying far more than I'd expected to. Went to bed. This morning, still nothing. A Rogers message says work is being done and this neighbourhood is down. I am sitting at Jean-Marc's dining-room table drinking his coffee and using his wifi while he works in the next room.

So lost without the 'net.  Imagine, we all used to live that way once. The Dark Ages!

Saturday I went to see Pepperland, Mark Morris's dance tribute to the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album, fifty years old now. Very entertaining and lively with gorgeous music, some a distillation of the album, and some completely new. The composer's name is on the program which is at my house. Take my word for it - it was good, especially with the theremin wavering away like an unearthly human voice.

I'm sure there's more to say - mostly, that it's beautiful and warm out with bright sun, so very very welcome. The snow is almost gone. Winter's not over, says the newspaper - of course not, it's February. But we need to feel warm air, even temporarily. I am sleepless at night, tossing, and sometimes I think about the pioneers in February. Unimaginable.

Hope to talk to you again soon, when the gods open up the magic portals again.

No comments:

Post a Comment