Monday, December 31, 2018

recap: 2018, a tough year

It's New Year's Eve, I just poured a nice Chilean cab sauv and am defrosting a rich French onion soup that Sam made for me in the spring. My lunatic daughter is holding her annual party for Eli's friends; the big bunch of 6 year olds were supposed to be outside but it's raining, so they're rampaging through her small apartment. My poor son is working non-stop from the afternoon till 2 a.m. in the frenzy of this night. I can't understand the desperate need to go nuts; I have a vague memory of staying up to celebrate, but not any more. Another year. We've alive, hooray.

All I hope is that 2019 is better for the planet. This was a ghastly year politically, ecologically, in almost every way. Thank you to Christine Blasey Ford for her mesmerizing courage and honesty, for all the good it did her.

I am reflecting back on my own year, its plusses and minuses: two exciting speaking engagements, one in NYC and one here, two successful So Trues, and my dance party, a new venture which needed more marketing. The big non-fiction conference in May, a lot of work and a big hit, thrilling.

A great trip to B.C. in late winter, time in Vancouver and on Gabriola Island with my dear friend Chris. A visit with friends Lynn and Denis, here in the summer from France, especially Montreal with Lynn which included seeing Macca. Seeing Macca - what's better than that! And Coriolanus with Lynn at Stratford.

Two great personal losses - my colleague Ann Ireland, and my dear Aunt Do. Many visits to Ottawa before and after her death, including meeting my cousin Barbara from Washington there and taking Do to tea at the Chateau Laurier. Bless her heart.

Termites and reno - not so great. Student successes, a bunch of books and articles out - wonderful. "My Brilliant Friend." "Calypso" by Sedaris. "Lincoln in the Bardo," George Saunders. Paul Simon. Itzhak Perlman. My great-grandfather's Mirele Efros at Ashkenaz. Nothing Like a Dame, just last week. My memoir out to an editor yesterday. Moving right along.

Dear friends, this NYEve I look at myself in the mirror and see a woman who's drained and grey and pale. But this too shall pass and my perky self will return. Any day now. As soon as I can find some clothes and a bit of makeup. In the meantime, I wish you a glorious NYEve and a joyful, healthy, creative 2019. Do not be silenced.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment