Monday, June 10, 2019

Gabriola Island

Another planet - Gabriola Island, where the deer roam through people's gardens, the log cabins are plentiful, and the air smells so sweet and fresh it makes me want to lie down and snooze. My brain cannot accept this much oxygen. And maybe - maybe today - my weather bad luck will turn, and the sun will actually stay out. I've been joking that people should keep away from me, because wherever I go, rain and cloud will follow. Here too - it was hot until the day I arrived, Chris told me, and then - cloud and rain.

An easy flight in the float plane - filming much of the way to show the boys when I get home, skimming up and over the water, and 20 minutes later, splashing down in Silva Bay. Chris waiting with beautiful Sheba in the little red Fiat, like a mobile strawberry. His beautiful home, more lustrous since I was last here - he's done an enormous amount of work in the garden, as those who follow his blog will know. Everything serene and lovely.

So here we are. We had dinner with Patsy, one of my oldest friends - she threw my 20th birthday party in August 1970 at Dead Man's Cove, Nova Scotia - who has lived here for decades and has helped Chris's entry into island life. We went to town, with its 2 or 3 shops and restaurants, for groceries and lunch. We walked with Sheba on the nearby trail, and last night, we watched the Tony Awards. I usually watch them with Wayson so was happy to be with another of my very best friends. It was the best yet, extraordinarily diverse and interesting. This year, my ex, Edgar, was on the Tony nominating committee but not on stage among the winning producers, as he was a few years ago.

Today, another exciting day - dog walking, talking, maybe a picnic with Patsy and Prosecco. Though I'm giddy from fresh air and tranquillity, I've been working in the quiet, editing students and on the manuscript, the final final final draft, to go out again soon. And tonight - Go Raptors.
 The jumbo jet over - that's the pilot
Vancouver
A man and his dog
a shorn Sheba and gorgeous stripey spotted Ethel
Tom Thomson? Emily Carr?

No comments:

Post a Comment