Thursday, December 19, 2019

Spongebob Squarepants

Quick update - the busy season is upon us. It's bitterly cold out there but warming up a bit this weekend, apparently - yesterday, walking to dinner at 6.45 p.m., I wore a down coat under my other winter coat to keep me alive.

Dinner was at former student now dear friend Jason's and his partner Louie, dear men. Louie persuaded me to down a vodka shot, something I've never done, when I arrived, frozen, at their door. And yes, it warmed me up instantly. On to the wine, and much much talk. For the walk home, I was so warmed by friendship and food that I did not feel the cold. A few nights before, another fine dinner, this time with Gretchen; we ate in front of her fireplace. I said, I'll just stay here till May.

The excitement on Tuesday was meeting Anna and her boys for an early dinner and then taking Eli to see Spongebob Squarepants at the Sony Centre. I've never seen the TV show, though of course he had, but had read rave reviews for the musical version. I'm happy to report they were right; it was fantastic, imaginative, funny, with great music by musicians like David Bowie and The Flaming Lips, and an unmistakable anti-Trump message about how when people are frightened, they turn on each other, on those who are different, on science and the media. Cheerful, kind Spongebob saves the day. Truly fun.

And then a sleepover with my older grandson, our bedtime story Alice In Wonderland, a copy given to me by my British grandparents in 1957 when I was 7, the age he is now. Next day he beat me cold at Sorry and later, at the Y, at basketball. How phenomenally lucky I am to have very young people in my life, and very old people too.

Tonight, a social event for the Y runfit class. Always fun to meet each other fully clothed, doesn't happen often. Sunday, two more events. It must be Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment