Saturday, June 27, 2020

hooray for the Nova Scotia Department of Tourism

Busy days, Zooming: Wednesday a CNFC board meeting, uniting us from Nova Scotia to Vancouver, including our new West Coast board members originally from Eritrea and Bangladesh. CNFC is really picking up steam, I'm thrilled to report. Taught a Zoom class on Thursday, had the usual Friday talk with Judy in Vancouver - many writers writing.

Speaking of which - I woke up at 5 a.m. the other morning with a word in my head, and I think that word is the title of the book. It's a bit cryptic, as one word titles can be, so a good subtitle in needed; that's what was preoccupying me at 5 a.m. this morning. I had to get up, go downstairs, lie down on the little daybed in the kitchen, fall asleep again. Still nothing. Stay tuned.

Speaking of which - former student Margaret Lynch goes from strength to strength; in conjunction with Kings College where she did the MFA in nonfiction, she has won the Random House Best Book Proposal award. Brava!

Speaking of triumphs - Anna just helped organize a march against racism in Swansea, on the west side of Toronto. She told me they were hoping for 50 people; the estimates were 300-400. Just saw my grandsons' backs on CP24 news. Another brava! She just sent this, Ben's first sentence:
Last night's thrill: Monique and I have a friend, Jacqueline Swartz, a travel writer - such a great gig! - who won a prize from the Nova Scotia Department of Tourism: a food package of two cooked lobsters, a lot of mussels and tender smoked salmon, plus bib and nutcracker. Monique ripped apart the lobster and cooked the mussels in garlic, parsley, and white wine, and we feasted. What lucky women are we!

Today's thrill: the first GREEN BEANS! There's been lettuce, too much, I'm having to chomp on lots of salads, but now, 8 perfect green beans, the first of many to come. How I wish my mother and aunt the champion British gardeners were alive to celebrate my urban garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment