Friday, September 18, 2020

Back to basics

Today things feel joyfully normal - well, not normal, but routine. I went to the Y for the first time since March. They discontinued our membership fees, but I just realized they'd started them again so I'd better get there. It's totally different, of course - you have to book online for very limited spaces, wear a mask except when you're actually working out, there's almost no one there, no water fountains or showers or pool, no coffee and tea and sitting around chatting. But it's the Y. I did a class in the gym and was relieved I wasn't totally winded by the end, after months of sitting in this chair - I guess cycling to the market, line dancing, and gardening have helped. And I saw Margot, Tony, Doris, Art, and my dear friend Lolita, who's the cheerfulest person I know. 

To stay fit, I need someone to order me around in a public place, with music. It really helps.

On the way home, there was no lineup outside Doubletake, so I went in and saw Jasmine, another good friend, a Bengali woman who has worked there for years. My routine is back!

Despair, however: my cousin in Washington ordered the memoir from Barnes and Noble, was told they were out of stock, ordered it from Amazon, was told they were out of stock. As if it's not hard enough to sell books when they're available! My publisher is trying to fix this. Sheesh!!! 

One more thing: I heard back from Ancestry. com, updating my genetic profile with more detail. Still 51% Ashkenazi Jewish, but - on my mother's side - 42% from England and Northwest Europe, 4% Germanic Europe, and 3% Scotland. Her people came from all over, but all from the north. I'm part Scottish!

It's surprisingly chilly - had to cover the gardenia last night, I was afraid she'd freeze. But - I know, here we go again - the garden is as glorious as ever.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Beth, I pre-ordered from Amazon and when the order was confirmed, they said I'd receive an email with an estimated delivery date. Nothing yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, it's infuriating! There seem to be no books available anywhere - I've heard from Washington DC and Halifax. It might be a printer problem and resolved by Monday or Tuesday. Fingers crossed. If not, I will mail you one myself! Though I too am running short.

      Delete
  2. I'm ok with waiting, Beth. Some things are out of our hands. Don't fret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of going back to the Y, because I really do miss it, but I decided to suspend my membership for another few weeks, because I really resent paying the Health Club fees when so little is on offer. But I know what you mean about needing a class to get moving. I'm now reconsidering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Rondi, but I support the Y generally, its principles as well as its programs; it has saved my life many times and now it must be struggling to survive, like many other businesses. It's a diminished version of itself but it's there and I'm grateful. I've booked two things for next week, a class and a session with cardio machines, and am assuming they'll get more going as time goes on.

      Delete