Sunday, August 15, 2021

garden love

Be still my beating heart. What a welcome sight this is!

I was away five days, and since getting back, it's taken two days to wrestle the garden to order - pruning, staking, cutting the grass, filling the bird feeder, watering. I even for the first time used the leaf blower John returned to me. It may be that like a person with a needy pet, I can't leave my garden for long in summer. But it's worth it.

It's hard to believe that with some help, I created that profusion of colour, haven for bugs, bees, butterflies. If only my expert gardener mother and aunt were here to see it, they wouldn't believe it. I had zero interest in gardening and knew nothing about it until about 25 years ago. 

Yesterday to the market - many peaches, blueberries, strawberries. Oh summer, you bless us. Very lucky with the weather - apparently last week it was steamy in the city, but now it's mild and fresh and even cool in the evening, aka perfect. Another excursion tomorrow, just for a day and night — Anna, the boys, and I off to the very small town of Ingersoll to visit Lani and Maurice, one of the boys' favourite grownups. Mau showed Eli how to make a loud whistle with an acorn cap and then brought out his homemade skateboards = friends forever. 

I've watched two good films - finally saw Nomadland, an amazing achievement for the young woman who wrote, directed, and produced it. Frances McDormand is mesmerizing, unique among American actresses in allowing her naked, un-carved up face on the screen, and what a lovely, expressive face it is. Was surprised to enjoy Percy, about the Saskatchewan farmer who was sued by Monsanto for growing seed that had blown onto his land. It's infuriating that all the leads are played by Americans, and Canada is barely mentioned, but it's a good David and Goliath film.

Have not been once into my office with its long clean desk. But my fingers are itching. It will soon be time.

No comments:

Post a Comment