Tuesday, September 21, 2010

retraction

My friend Laurel has just written in indignation. "I'm a 905 suburbanite and I would NEVER vote for the likes of Ford or Harper or Harris," she wrote. And I realize that I've been judgmental and closed-minded. My apologies to the seventeen sentient people in the 905 region.

No, I didn't mean that. I just cannot imagine living in one of those communities, with hundreds of identical houses. But then, I was lucky enough to buy a house in the inner-city 24 years ago. We paid $l80,000 for this big semi-detached. I know people with families want some land. But why - why do people want simple answers to complex questions? How can they support - at the moment, by 46% - a loud-mouthed blowhard whose only platform is to cut free trips to the zoo by city counsellors?

Sorry, Laurel.

On a cheerier note, even Sweden is moving to the right. Nearly 6% of the population - the SWEDISH population, one of the most enlightened on the planet - recently voted for a far-right racist anti-immigrant party, led by a 31-year old.

No, no, truly on a cheerier note - I just rode my bike, in the incredibly mild glorious sunshine, to the little market by the Farm. I bought fresh lake trout, meat raised on a small farm, oak leaf lettuce, a huge bag of tomatoes, two loaves of fresh bread, an ear of corn and a stack of dark chocolate. I got my secaturs sharpened, chatted with many neighbours, and rode home.

Neighbourhood. Can't beat that.

2 comments:

  1. I can't bear the thought of that embarrassment as our mayor, so let me ask this instead, how will you prepare your fresh lake trout?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sentiments exactly! Let's think about trout and maybe he'll go away. I just panfried in butter and lemon; it needs no more.
    Wake up, people! Wake up!

    ReplyDelete