Monday, March 12, 2012

apple for the teacher

Here's the kind of thing that makes teaching worthwhile: a note from a student after class today, as the term ended - a student who suffered a great tragedy and is learning to write about it, and other things. Please forgive me if I share it with you, though it praises me - but it's so beautifully written. (And praises me.)

I want to thank you for being a wonderful teacher and encouraging me to be brave and honest and to go deeper. You have ushered me into the magical world of writing where stories heal and our lives and voices have value. I will never forget this class and your humour and compassion. Thank you for lighting the way at a dark time.

Here's a quote from my favourite writer, Orhan Pamuk's The Black Book:
"Nothing is stranger than life. Except for writing. Except for writing. Yes, except for writing. The only consolation."

No comments:

Post a Comment