Friday, March 2, 2012

"Mr. Lazhar"

Just checking my Facebook page, which gives me, among many other things, updates from the Daily Show. Noticed this on the latest update:

TV show
3,311,048 like this.

A lot of friends, Jon has.

Saw "Mr. Lazhar" with my friend Eleanor last night. The story of an Algerian refugee who becomes a teacher in Montreal, it's not a big film, slow and deliberate, but it's profoundly moving all the same - tender, true, haunting. The children are extraordinary, particularly one small girl with a magical face, and so is the lead actor, Felag; the final moment between them is breathtaking. Highly recommended - the sort of film that stays in your heart.

Before the film, my Thursday home class came down the stairs, five people, me and the crabby cat gathered below ground. It was wonderful. Chris suggested that when my book is a best-seller, I can turn this space into a writing studio. Good plan. Let's work on the first part, and then the second.

And ... on our visit to New York in July 1964, my grandfather took us to see the season's big hit, "Oliver!" starring a young singer called Davy Jones. Big crush. I wrote in my diary, "He'd be fine as a date on the nights that Paul McCartney is busy." Lost track after that, never a Monkees fan, though "I'm a Believer" is a great song. Hope you had a good life, and thanks for the music, Davy.

No comments:

Post a Comment