Tuesday, January 13, 2015

sandcastles in the snow

On Sunday, I wanted to go to the rally here in Toronto in support of freedom of speech - what a day in the world, especially in France - incredible passion and heart. But my daughter was recovering from a bad flu and needed a hand, so instead I went across town to wear out her son. We walked a long way up Roncesvalles to Another Story bookshop - what a lovely place - and bought some books for him, including "The day the crayons quit," delightful - and then over to a playground where he pretended it was August and made sandcastles. It was a tough slog to get him home - both of us chilled to the bone, but only one of us acknowledging it. But he slept that night from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. the next morning. Mission accomplished.


That night - the délice of Downton. Loved it! So much sex - and a radio. Here's a hilarious article in the NYT for those of you following the plot.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/11/downton-abbey-recap-if-you-show-me-your-della-francesca/?emc=eta1

Monday, the first class of term at Ryerson - 18 keen writers, a full class, what a treat.

The other day I saw a wonderful child's play kitchen at Doubletake. I photographed it but did not buy it, though when I showed the shot to Anna, she adored it and was sorry I hadn't. Why didn't I? I asked myself, and realized - because it's a kitchen. Because to me, feminist of the early Seventies, a kitchen means not play but drudgery - why encourage children to cook?
And then I realized - my son is in the restaurant business, my daughter is a homemaker, both of them love nothing better than to cook! One of Anna's school friends, Grant Van Gameren, is a rock star in Toronto, the city's best known young restauranteur. Cooking is hyper-cool for this generation.

I'm sorry I didn't buy this little red kitchen, which had disappeared by the time I got back to the store. I'd like to play with it myself. And I hope that despite not having a red play kitchen, my grandson turns his love of making mud pies into making real pies. I'll be first in line, with a fork.

The final word from one of my great heroes, J. K. Rowling:
"Maybe most Muslims are peaceful, but until they recognize and destroy their growing jihadist cancer they must be held responsible."
-- Rupert Murdoch
"I was born Christian. If that makes Rupert Murdoch my responsibility, I'll auto-excommunicate...The Spanish Inquisition was my fault, as is all Christian fundamentalist violence. Oh, and Jim Bakker."
-- J.K. Rowling

2 comments:

  1. The kitchen -- sweet! I wonder if it comes in a larger size. Imagine seeing that red every morning when you come in to make your coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was very cool AND I DID NOT BUY IT. It even had dishes and everything. What was I thinking? Oh well.

    ReplyDelete