Friday, December 23, 2016

Hannah Arendt on Trump voters

It's mild - a blessing, though there's lots of snow, but also sun and warm wind. Today Wayson came over and drove me around C'town to get the heavy groceries - a 16 pound turkey and much, much more. The fridge is full, the tree is surrounded, I'm nearly ready. One big hurdle, always - the Babe in the Barn pageant tomorrow evening.

In the meantime, the horror continues. A man who rumour has it will become the president of the United States is revving up the nuclear arms race on TWITTER. If you wrote it in a play or screenplay, we would not believe it. Dr. Strangelove lives. Our poor, poor world. We must love it even more than before.

Good news: The U.S. finally took on Israel's horrendous settlement policy at the U.N. and won. A glimmer of good news.

However - in the scary/true department ...
Tonight, the RSC on television celebrating the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death. A moment of bliss in the madness.

2 comments:

  1. I recently read the letters between Mary McCarthy and Hannah Arendt, a wonderful correspondence about friendship, love, politics, writing...They shared a rigorous and vigorous (if those are spelled correctly? I want to use more "u"s) sense of idea, engagement, clarity. I find myself longing for letters, shared experience, dignity, respectful disagreement (because they didn't always agree!). No bombast or name-calling. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful - I'll look for these letters. When I hear Mary McCarthy's name, I always think first of what she said about Lillian Hellman - that every word she wrote was a lie, including "a" and "the." Now that's a feud.

    ReplyDelete