Thursday, February 14, 2008

talk at the 92nd Street Y, April 8th

First of all, Happy Valentine's Day to you all. For those of us currently between relationships - and I have spent much of my adult life currently between relationships - it's a bit of a pain, like being Jewish on December 25th and watching all the merriment with a jaundiced eye. Enough already, one wants to say. Let's move on.

I know that my talk at the 92nd Street Y in New York is almost two months away, but I'm posting the information now for those far-flung friends who would like to join me in the greatest city on earth. I'll be speaking at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, April 8th, about Jacob Gordin's life and my journey of discovery towards him and my own history. There will be books for buying and signing. I hope to be wearing a new pair of Stuart Weitzman shoes. There will be many Kaplans and a few Gordins, and maybe even two or three people who are not related to me. I will have a story to tell, and I will have great shoes to stand in while I do.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, a friend of mine on Valentine's Day was saying "Happy Singles' Appreciation Day". Just to let you know. She got that from a coworker :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristina. I just watched the last half of the musical "Company" on PBS, Stephen Sondheim the great musical genius musing, through his bachelor hero Bobby, about being single versus not being single. In the interview afterwards, he said the audiences are unhappy because the musical doesn't resolve the issue for Bobby. "But ambivalence is dramatic," he said. "Ambivalence is what drama is about."

    So - ambivalent singles of the world - how dramatic are we? Happy Ambivalent Singles Day.

    ReplyDelete