Thursday, September 8, 2011

en attente

Dawn breaking over downtown Toronto - not a sight I often see, pewter skies, thickets of skyscrapers with their windows dark. I'm here at 7 a.m. at the Island Airport - all flights to New York cancelled for now due to thunderstorms. Luckily here's the Globe, and I have the latest New Yorkers and there's free coffee and cookies - and thou. Picnic!

P.S. 7.30. As I sit here drinking my latte, surrounded by businesspeople in snazzy suits huddled over their iPads and Blackberry's - how proud I am to be tapping on my sleek silver companion Fleet. RIP MacZine. (Have I told you, my new Apple computer has her name? The long version is Fleetwood Mac. But she's Fleet for short. And she's beautiful.)

The sky over Toronto now silvery white, and Newark may be opening up.

Noo Yawk!

PPS. Last night my friend the wonderful writer Alissa York and I went to the launch of the latest Granta magazine, their 9/11 issue. Several Canadian writers have pieces in the mag, and so far, I've found the reading powerful.

I'm watching a woman teetering along on very high black patent heels. All that body, dependant on a square inch of sole and a spindly bit of heel. Looks like misery to me, modern footbinding. Ha! I am in dishing mode. Time to read the newspaper and settle down.

My flight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment