Monday, August 10, 2015

APARTMENT TO RENT

I seem to be sitting here in front of a blank page from blogger.com. But there's not much to say except that it's a beautiful summer day, fresh and breezy, the garden is bursting with colour, there's fresh fruit in the fridge, friends and family are well. (A conFLUence of F's.) I am getting lots of work done, enjoying every minute of my precious solitude, the pleasure of working on this book. Have meant to go to all kinds of events - Dusk Dances in Withrow Park, for example, what could be more delightful than watching dancers in a nearby park as the light fades? Could not bring myself to leave the house. Just sat and looked at flowers and bees and worked and drank a glass or two of rosé.

Sublime.

Last night, I watched "Borgen" - one of the best television shows I've ever seen. Visited, briefly, the Regent's Park Fair yesterday, marvelling as ever at the mind-boggling ethnic diversity of my neighbours. Went to Jason's birthday party on Saturday and met all kinds of very interesting people, including a cheerful man who had a very happy childhood. Yes, though my jaw dropped - these people do exist. Spent Saturday day across town with Anna and family; Eli has woken up to the fact that this little visitor is not going away, and the stubbornness and strength he inherited from his mother are more in evidence. It will not be easy. But with ice cream, anything is possible.
Anna is going to buy me a tote bag that says "I'm ashamed of my prime minister." Can't wait. But we are at peace, even if our country is being destroyed by this loathsome government. And it's summer. And it's very very good to be sniffing the air.

My lovely downstairs tenant, a Ryerson student from Quebec City whom I met through one of my students, has told me her school year ends soon and, sadly, she will be moving out in December or January. So: here's the pitch:

FURNISHED BASEMENT APARTMENT TO RENT from DECEMBER OR JANUARY. GREAT LOCATION, CLOSE TO TTC, SHOPPING AND DOWNTOWN. PRIVATE ENTRANCE THROUGH BEAUTIFUL GARDEN. HI-SPEED WIFI AND CABLE. $950. 

If you know a nice quiet person coming to Toronto at the end of the year, please let me know, or ask them to get in touch. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment