Thursday, August 4, 2016

Mel Hurtig, great Canadian, R.I.P.

What joy - I'm listening to the CBC 6 o'clock news, we're 15 minutes in, and they have not said the name Trump once. I'm sure it'll come, but still - he's on a slide. Let us pray it deposits him at the bottom of a lake. It's funny - as people who have read this blog for some time know, there are three politicians I despise: Mike Harris, Stephen Harper, and George Bush, particularly the first two. I cannot loathe Trump the way I do Harris and Harper, because he's so completely ridiculously absurd, so utterly beyond belief as a serious candidate, I can't believe he'll get much further. I know, he's disgusting and terrifying - but also so appalling as to be almost funny. Whereas there was nothing funny about the two men who did their best to destroy my city, my province, and my country.
From Twitter:

Trump somehow makes Romney look good. Romney somehow made McCain look good. In 4 years the GOP will nominate a sentient radioactive chainsaw.

Tomorrow, a new adventure - I'm off to a family wedding in Ogdensburg, and then to Ottawa to visit Auntie Do. My son will keep the home fires burning. I'm enjoying my new rooms, though there's some adjusting to be done.

It's 6.20, and they're talking about Mel Hurtig, one of my heroes, who died last night. A wonderful Canadian, noble and inspiring. He was a friend of my father's, when Dad was at the U of A in Edmonton. I wish I'd met him.

It's high summer - hot hot hot. My cucumbers are stunning. Now that's something I never thought I'd say.

6.23, giant rats in Africa that can sense TB. 6.26, the Olympics. A whole news cycle without Trump - the world just might be saved, my friends.

2 comments:

  1. "I can't believe he'll get much further..." Oh, I hope you're right. But who'd have believed he'd get this far? I think he's quite mad but time will tell.

    And then there's Mel Hurtig. Such a decent and inspiring man. He will truly be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, hard to think of Mel Hurtig and Trump in the same sentence, isn't it? But let's not forget other Fascist or quasi-Fascist sociopaths who sensible people couldn't believe would get so far. I don't think this one will do so. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete