Wednesday, May 18, 2011

where's the ark?

My friends, it's Biblical out there - forty days and forty nights of darkness and rain. Time to build an ark. No wonder those Americans are screeching about the world ending on Saturday - my guess is that they haven't seen the sun in a long time either, and their brains are affected.

Tonight there was a brief moment of sun as I was preparing to go to Ryerson, so, bravely, I rode my bike. After class, it started to drizzle, on my ride home the rain fell harder, and as soon as I was inside, the heavens opened. Thank you, powers that be, for sparing me yet another drenching.

It's pouring still. What is going on up there? Is the sky still mourning the Conservative majority? I can understand that, with the news today of Harper giving 3 failed Conservative candidates fat Senate posts; already the facade has dropped and the ultra-partisan street-fighter is strutting his stuff. But whether that is affecting meteorology ... anyone's guess.

A good time last night - dinner with Isobel, Jessica, Suzette and Elke, old friends mostly from university days in the late sixties, who meet a few times a year to catch up. Last time we met in a restaurant, but this time, I proposed that we hold a potluck dinner here - restaurants are too noisy and crowded and fast. So I cooked a chicken and veggies, they brought hors d'oeuvres, salads, dessert and Cava - and we ate and laughed and toasted, gossiped and recounted our doings and doled out advice. I marvelled later that we spent the entire evening without one word about our collective health, except at the very end, when we learned the name of the best place in the city to have a colonoscopy, and why. That's the kind of invaluable information old friends pass on. Friends from nearly 45 years ago - priceless.

What rain?

No comments:

Post a Comment