Monday, May 16, 2011

showered with kindness

A dangerous precedent has been set: I write a whiny blog, and love pours in. Not only love, but this afternoon, from student Elizabeth, a picnic hamper of goodies including a bottle of Saint Emilon, a fresh baguette, some fabulous cheese and fruit. "You sounded like you need this," she said, handing it to me.

Another student, M. R., sent me this email:

Please don't feel discouraged. You are so accomplished already, even if you never write another word (which I hope doesn't happen). You're a sensitive and encouraging teacher as well as a talented writer. I feel silly saying this, because I'm just a student, but for what it's worth - I feel very lucky to have met you. I'm looking forward to your next book and I'll read anything you write because I know whatever the topic, you'll handle it with honesty and depth.

Friend Lani sent this message:

Time to get a dog, Beth. A loud-barking big black dog with large teeth. And when you travel I will take care of him. Or your kids will. Or one of your many many friends. Crabby Cat will adjust.

Could they be nicer, these kind friends? And others sent their sympathy. I like this. Everyone needs a little bit of spoiling periodically, don't you think?

I'm more than okay, my dear wonderful friends. I move forward with, as Chris wrote in response to the blog, "corragio." I had great cheese and bread after supper, and will think about a dog.

Today's whine is just: if only the sun would shine. No need to send gifts. But don't let me stop you.

No comments:

Post a Comment