Saturday, October 15, 2011

I'm with the 99% - at home

Those poor protestors - I gather from watching CP24 that a thousand or more have gathered downtown to protest corruption, inequality and "global greed;" it's a cold day, and a cold rain has just started. The helicopters have been buzzing all day, presumably both the police and the media, who are waiting for something exciting to happen - though all's peaceful so far. I watched footage of protests around the world - Rome, London, Hong Kong - and there are scores more. Amazing how these events now spread instantly from one end of the planet to the other.

My daughter called to find out if I was there. I've protested and marched with the best of them for my entire adult life, starting with the Vietnam War at 17 and continuing through every single one of Mike Harris's policies - school cutbacks, the megacity, the G20 etc. But this protest is a bit loosey goosey for me. I'll admire from afar. And, yes, it is warmer in here.

Margaret Atwood said that apparently the percentage they're protesting today, the 99% stuck in poverty or with stagnant incomes versus the 1% whose profits and incomes have soared, are the proportions that provoked the French Revolution. So - who knows what awaits?

Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters.
Victor Hugo.

Now here's something to protest -

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Brace yourselves, peanut butter lovers -- prices are set to spike following one of the worst peanut harvest seasons growers have seen in years.

AAAAAGH! I LIVE ON THE STUFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment