Saturday, October 8, 2011

the Grateful Living

Saturday afternoon of a heavenly long weekend - and it's so quiet! No one is hammering, sawing, leaf blowing - no one is even talking, right now. It's just ... still. Nooooo! The second I finished writing that, some infernal, unbelievably loud machine started. Shouldn't have said a word.

I'm gradually amassing the Thanksgiving necessities - not easy to gather large quantities of potatoes, sweet potatoes, turkey etc. without a car, so I do it in stages, with my backpack. It's hot out there - people out in shorts, tank tops and sandals. I've got all my mothball-y sweaters out in the fierce sun, to steam away the smell.

The noise stopped. Will it start again? What the hell was it? How can people be so thoughtless? Don't they know a highly sensitive person - MOI - is sitting on her deck enjoying the silence?

Ah well. I'm spending this entire weekend giving thanks. For health, for beloved family, for beloved friends, for eager students, for the joy of words on paper, for the house and the garden, for intelligent Ontario voters, for the divine Honeycrisp apple I just finished eating and this heavenly day, even for the crabby pussycat with her perfect white boots: I am grateful. Thank you thank you thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment