Tuesday, February 28, 2012

down but up

Yes, it's surreal, this upstairs-downstairs life. I had my first visitors today, several old friends and later an at-home class, trekking down the concrete back stairs to my basement lair. They were all surprised by how nice this little room is, and it is, truly. It's just not my house. I miss light. I don't know what the weather is like until I get outside. Today, I read on-line that it was minus one so got bundled up for a cross-town bike ride, and it was so warm and sunny, I was boiling. From upstairs, I would have known the actual temperature.

I am also wearing the same things every day because going up to sort out wardrobe is just too complicated. However, I am NOT complaining. Well, just a minor bitch or two. But mostly, very grateful to have renters upstairs and a cosy place down.

Yesterday I picked up 3 copies of the memoir from the printer, skimmed it that evening, and decided that it's 300 pages of utter drivel that no one could possibly care about but me. I wrote a long apologia to my dear editors, and mailed one off today to B.C. and delivered another to the Annex. It is simply terrifying to fling one's baby out into the world.

Speaking of braver souls - friend and longtime student, fine opera singer, writer and athlete Chris Cameron had a wonderful piece published in yesterday's "Globe."

And superb writer Isabel Huggan has set up her website. She is offering a heavenly writing retreat in the south of France, and I am to be her first guest and guinea pig, so you'll be hearing all about it. To see the marvellous place I'll be staying for five days in March, go to her website www.isabelhuggan.com.


1 comment:

  1. OK -- I'm very impressed. I loved Isabel Huggan's Home Away From Home.

    ReplyDelete