Wednesday, April 11, 2012

taking a break

Last night, my Toronto friends Jessica and Geoffrey came over; they're in Paris on their way home after a stay in the south of France. I did some research on-line to find the right place nearby for dinner, because though I've stayed here 3 times, I've almost never eaten out. Here at the flat, we popped open a bottle of cremeux - the French version of prosecco - to toast our journeys and many years of friendship - for Jessica and me, 45 - and also Geoffrey's recent big arts award. They showed pictures of their sons whom I've known since babyhood, now men with beards, all dressed up for the event in Ottawa. We talked about my grandbaby. Definitely, a new phase for us all.

Dinner at Au Petit Marguery was extremely good, a bit more expensive than we expected, but it was worth it for a true French meal - "Not a single tourist, except us," said Geoffrey in satisfaction, looking around the warm, crowded room that smelled like a gastronome's version of heaven. "And we're not really tourists." I had scallops in a leek and wine sauce, and if I had to ask for a last meal, this would be one possibility. Finally they went off into the night, and I walked - home.

Today, my friends, I am going to take stock. It's sunny but cold; ah, it's Wednesday, the market on the rue Monge is today, off I go for fruit and veg. I need to take a few days for myself, without you. I love to write here, love sharing with my invisible companions the adventures of the day. As I walk and look and experience, I'm chronicling it all, in my mind and in scribbled notes, for you. But today and tomorrow, it's time to experience just for myself. To withdraw.

Back soon, with pictures and tales of Paris. Thank you for coming along.

P.S. Maybe - impossible as it is to imagine - you need a break from me, too.

PPS. Usually, according to Google Analytics, about 450 people read my blog, logging in about three times a month. But right now, there are over 600 of you. Don't go away!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy very much reading about your travels. Would like to know if you speak French? Do you have much interaction (conversation) with the natives during your stay in Paris? And overall, how do you find the Parisians....aloof? Friendly? Hospitable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, reader. Yes, I am lucky enough to speak fluent French, having lived and gone to school here for a year in my teens. It helps a lot. I have found most Parisians to be friendly, contrary to popular opinion - people have even volunteered help if I look lost. Citizens here are heartily sick of tourists, which is understandable as there are so many, and so many of them make no effort at all to speak French. But those who make an effort, and who try to understand how the French live their lives - the rewards are enormous.
    If you're new to the blog, I have been coming to Europe around the same time of year since 2009, so there are past blogs about my travel experiences too. if you have nothing better to do.
    all the best and thanks for reading, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. The newspapers help readers to get the hottest updated and happenings around the world.
    Or, when we speak of American capitalism, do we mean jobs for our people, medical care for all of
    us, decent wages and decent retirements. Hamas itself would believe it can take over the entire movement,
    making it more violent against Israel and aggressive
    toward other Palestinians", says Barry Rubin in a commentary on UPI. For documentation purposes and additional interest, be sure to include the banner including the name of the news publication, as well as the date section. A writer in San Francisco can read a story in New York at 3:00 AM (EST) and have it ready to go in his own paper for the Midnight (PST) deadline.

    Also visit my web-site - click here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since the program is based on a real time world, users would not
    only be able to choose the weather of their choice but also
    the scenery. If you make mistakes and you use a simulator, then
    it will cost you nothing. So, if the games above don't whet your appetite, it's not
    that hard to find more - Tanzanite is one of the new exotic gemstones to come onto the market.
    This kind of game is great because it can also provide scientific information, 'Phun' would help with physics study
    obviously while other simulation games that offer choices could contribute valuable data to Psychology.
    In general, it is something manufactured, to pretend to be (or simulate), something else more valuable.

    ReplyDelete