Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Borgen: the best

There was an abrupt change of plans, as often happens in my ex-husband's world, and he rushed back from Winnipeg to the States. So, perhaps we'll see him some more another time.

Sam's event on Sunday night was wonderful - how he manages to barbecue and greet and entertain many friends and keep an eye on his puppy... And then a rainstorm, and still, a success.

Today, another bombshell from the Jan. 6 committee. Evil will out; what a thrilling, historic truth-telling we're witnessing. One is tempted to sneer to the Republicans coming clean, "It took you long enough!" But better late than never. 

A great treat: the next season of Borgen; I've seen most of the past seasons of this fantastic show. All the actors have aged in real time; Birgitte's young son has grown up to be an eco-bandit. I've only watched one episode and can't wait for the rest: political women battling it out in work and life, our heroine suffering through hot flashes. Great stuff. 

Today, last class of the U of T term, and as always, I admire and respect them all. 

Am I getting my own work done? Absolutely not. Speaking yesterday with writer friend Judy in Vancouver, I expressed my discouragement about my lack of progress. She told me she heard a well-known writer say he keeps writing because occasionally, he writes one beautiful sentence. Today, one of my students told me how much my penpal essay moved her, especially the line "It made my breath hurt." Sometimes, one of our lines touches another. It's worth it. Yes, it is. 

The garden: the roses are fading, the dahlias, black-eyed Susans, and hydrangea are coming. The tomato plant on the deck is seven feet tall. 

Peonies at the market on Saturday. Peony envy!

Chris wrote, when he saw this, Who’s that crooked-smiling crippled woman he’s helping?
Sigh. Will someone please teach me to smile for the camera? I thought I WAS smiling! And it always looks like I'm grimacing in pain. 

So, that's it. Overseas, incalculable suffering. Here, a perfect summer night. Why are we so lucky? We just are.
Economist’s 2022 Global Liveability Index: The top 10
1. Vienna, Austria
2. Copenhagen, Denmark
3. Zurich, Switzerland
4. Calgary, Canada
5. Vancouver, Canada
6. Geneva, Switzerland
7. Frankfurt, Germany
8. Toronto, Canada
9. Amsterdam, Netherlands
10. Osaka, Japan and Melbourne, Australia (tie)
I wonder how long poor Toronto will be on this list.
For sheer "I told you so" pleasure, there's this: 

No comments:

Post a Comment