Friday, December 30, 2022

a new housemate

A powerful dream last night. I had to have a blood test – perhaps this is because I actually do, at some point soon, and am looking for a new doctor, and because I’m sick. After the test, there was something wrong. I could see the doctor making calculations based on what the test had revealed. I sat watching, thinking, Of course it’s fine, I’m a very healthy person.

And then he told me I have cancer of the blood and the prognosis is not good. I felt despair and serenity at the same time. Determination to live my last days as well as I can. Regret for the books I wanted to have written and had not.

Well, that’s a cheery dream. I told Judy, fellow writer, who laughed, Even in dreams, we’re beating ourselves up for not writing!

A good thing about Covid: detox. No wine, not the tiniest desire for wine. But today, I was feeling dreadful in the morning when I realized I hadn't had coffee. Suffering from caffeine withdrawal! Sure enough, a cup of coffee helped. The NYT reported yesterday that people who drink 1 to 3 cups of coffee a day live substantially longer. Good news, for once. 

Today's excitement: How quickly things can change. A friend of a friend posted a picture of a cat on FB, saying her owner had died and she needs a new home. I got in touch instantly. A match made in heaven, literally: I need a quiet older cat who's used to living inside, and that's who she is, so she won't be clawing to get out and hunt my birds. The owner's niece is going to call me tonight, to make sure I'm a nice person; I am waiting to audition as a cat owner. The cat lives in Kitchener, so Anna has offered to rent a car and go pick her up. The boys are already excited about their two kitties having a cousin across town. 

The house has been without its own pet for far too long. I've been waiting for my next cat to contact me, and she did.

We'll have to negotiate Bandit when the time comes. 

I passed! The arrangement is for Anna to go pick up my little grey friend Monday. I can feel the excitement from above, my mother and aunt, cat-lovers in the extreme.

Feels like I've had a very successful day of internet dating. 

2 comments: