Tuesday, September 16, 2014

book #2 launched

Dear friends, my book launch tonight was a beautiful event, one I will never forget for its warmth and joy - my kids and grandson, students and dear friends gathered; Chris Cameron did a wonderful introduction, I spoke and read and dear Wayson spoke. It could not have been nicer.

Once I had paid the bill at the restaurant, however, this is what my profit was for the evening: $20. And maybe not even that, if I'm really honest.

Okay, so a money maker it was not. But a memory maker it was.

Yes, I brought back many books I'd hoped not to see again - but this is not the first time. My son pointed out that if I'd held the launch in my living-room, I would have made a profit, and how right he is, but I didn't realize how difficult it would be for people to get there. It's a frantic time of year, the weather has been iffy, and this is not a general interest book like the last one, it's specifically for writers and people who want to write. Last launch we sold 90 books, this one, about 25.

C'est la vie.

Luckily, my son is going to a festive event tonight, so he took all the leftovers with him, including a delicious homemade pate the restaurant produced just for us. Everyone who came was so great - it was fantastic to see former students and old friends mingling, colleagues, my family, Wayson, who is also family. His speech was very moving - what a calm, wise presence he has.

Still, for a moment, the briefest moment, I was a bit downcast. And then an email arrived from a former student who was there.
Hi Beth,
It was great to see you again this evening! Congratulations on the book launch, it was a lovely gathering. It truly is funny how things always happen for a reason. I was feeling particularly dejected and uninspired about my latest writing efforts and coming to your event this evening turned out to be just what I needed to give me a boost.
I read your book all the way home on the streetcar and subway and I love it. Will post a review on Amazon as soon as I can.
Regards,
Michelle
Thank you, Michelle. And as my dear friend says and as I quote him often in the book: Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment