Sunday, June 5, 2016

grownups discuss things they wrote as kids

A day of catastrophic rains - though not like Paris, of course. Dark and gloomy, then very hot and muggy, then dark and then thunderous rain again. Anna was supposed to go to a barbecue with three small children. Perhaps she did not. Or, knowing Anna, she suited up and got them in their boots and went. Anna loves barbecue.

I had a marvellous meeting with a kindred spirit - Dan Misener, producer of the hysterical storytelling event Grownups Read Things They Wrote as Kids, which I did once a long time ago, reading my Macca stuff to general hilarity. Dan and I connected as story geeks and radio geeks. His show was on the CBC last summer and was acclaimed as one of the funniest shows ever. So naturally it was not renewed. Because we are talking about the CBC here. Sheesh.

Dan has come to most of the So True events, has taped a few for us, and is full of ideas about what we do as producers of story-telling events. We talked for hours. He's 32, that is, less than half my age. He has never heard of a bunch of things that are second nature to me, and vice versa. I will learn a lot from him. What fun.

And then, radio geek that I am, I cooked food for the week while listening to one of Eleanor Wachtel's best shows on CBC - interviewing Julian Barnes in front of a live audience, he relaxed and very funny, such warmth between them, truly she is a master at what she does. Highly recommended and surprisingly moving. And then danced around to Randy Bachman, ate a vast dinner, did more work sitting in my chair. My friend Nettie Wild is on her way from the airport, to stay here for a week. Life is as always chock a block. (Where did THAT expression come from?)

Now listening to raccoons scrabbling and shrieking.

Today's treat, what we all need:
And today's downer/wisdom:
True and sad. And Mohammed Ali is dead, and, I just heard, so is Bobby Curtola. Bobby Curtola - Fortune Teller! "You can see it all in your crystal ball..." Loved that song. I bet that my friend Dan has never heard of Bobby Curtola. I need some Prosecco.

No comments:

Post a Comment