Thursday, December 15, 2016

snowstorm

Supposed to be gearing up for the big U of T instructors' Christmas party - Wychwood Barns, lovely food, wine flowing, colleagues to catch up with. But there's a blizzard out there, and with the wind chill, they say it's minus 21. Here's what I'm looking at right now:
I have the feeling I'll be staying right here. I hate to miss a good party, and God knows I'm not invited to many - but trying to get northwest right now, perhaps not. A good time to hunker down.

So I'm hunkering.

Sad. No, just quiet, withdrawing. It's only 4.10, too early for wine. Only one thing will heal this savage breast: music. Either Johann Sebastian Bach or Paul McCartney, or both.

I just visited my dentist Rolf, where he and I, friends for decades, discussed getting old. "I'm not what I was," he said, this fine Quaker in his fifties. "The canoe feels heavier and the portages longer." If that's not the most Canadian thing to say, I don't know what is.

There's the cardinal! A flash of bright red through the blinding snow. A blessing. O Canada.

2 comments:

  1. I could really enjoy sitting in that comfortable kitchen, warm and close to the fridge and your goodie drawer watching it snow and spotting hawks and cardinals. Give me hawks and cardinals over academics (even the continuing studies kind; sometimes, ESPECIALLY the continuing studies kind) any day — especially in groups. I hope the wine and a good book or movie kept your spirits up, Bethy! C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you were here right now, my buddy. Yes, I know what you mean about groups of academics - but it's a lovely party, truly, great food and drink and interesting people on a cold winter's night. But it was not to be. The roads were appalling and I was just not up for it. WHY DON'T YOU LIVE CLOSER?!

    ReplyDelete