Tuesday, September 25, 2012

catch up

I started this after that last batch of pictures of Eli and was delayed, so it got shifted to here.

Sunday night: Sorry, yes, I'm turning into one of those women who whips out pictures of her grandchild and burbles. Stop me when it gets too tedious. I do have a bit of a life, even when I'm not dandling. A few days ago, for example, I went to a two-hander modern opera, "Julie Sits Waiting," starring my neighbour Fides, at the tiny Theatre Passe Muraille back space. I have to say that I don't get a lot of modern music - modern art generally - and this one went right over my head. I could see, though, how extremely difficult it was to sing and much appreciated Fides's skill and dedication.

Then went to see another singer - old friend Nancy White.  Nan and I did a 3 month tour of southern Ontario in a musical version of "Under Milk Wood" in 1971, yes we did. She has made a living as a singer and songwriter of topical and satirical, sometimes hauntingly honest songs, and now her two daughters are musicians too. She was singing at the Flying Beaver Pubaret on Parliament Street with a very young singer called Ghislain Aucoin. What a wonderful team - Nancy's songs are often hilarious but also moving and melodious, and Ghislain, who's Francophone from New Brunswick, accompanies her on electric piano and does harmonies. I'm so proud of my friend.

Watched the Emmy's, the American TV awards - a guilty pleasure. My beloved Jon Stewart and his team of writers won again. Otherwise, I hardly knew any of the shows, so the whole thing was meaningless. But fun.

On Sunday I took my first weekly dose of osteoporosis medicine - you have to take it first thing in the morning and then not lie down again or eat anything for half an hour. This is a huge challenge for me, a woman who within seconds of rising from bed moves zombie-like into the kitchen to make coffee and eat oatmeal. However, I'll do anything not to turn into a little old lady.

Speaking of which - my mother continues to flourish. "She's a medical miracle," my brother said, and it's true. And long may that last.

And finally - I'm reading a book called "The Power of Habit." A life-changer. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment