Thursday, August 1, 2019

par-tay

Birthday report tomorrow - I'm too tired and much too full to think. But - it could not have been nicer.

This morning, though, I had a god moment. A monarch stopped on this plant - I don't know what those flowers are - and stayed for a long time, long enough for me to get my phone and take a picture. And then it stayed some more. I was mesmerized by the wings like stained glass windows. And as I stared, a bird was singing, and the scent of flowers was drifting by, and I thought - Who invented butterflies and painted them so beautifully? Who invented birdsong and lavender?

If I'd been religious, I'd have answered god. But I am not, so I guess it's just natural selection, genetic mutation, evolution etc. I can see why religion is a comfort - how much more comforting to imagine a benevolent spirit brought us these wondrous things, rather than random forces of nature.

But one fact remains, god or Darwin or neither - the wings of the butterfly are a fucking miracle.
And then it was time to get ready for the party. Here is a 69-year old woman in her apron, with her cucumber collection. More anon.

2 comments:

  1. Loved your garden from the first time we met to chat about my book, and now this beautiful captureπŸ™Œ! What a way to bring in your 69th year. Happy birthday πŸŽ‚πŸŽˆπŸŽ‰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, I hope your book is going well. If only books were as easy to grow as cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete