Monday, January 20, 2014

how to stop procrastinating

Here's a wonderful article, sent by student Joanne, about how to get on with your writing work. Funny and true, even if your hips work.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/how-i-stopped-procrastinating/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

It's freezing here and about to get colder. Yesterday, rushing huddled along Spruce Street, I ran into my neighbour Jack. "Why are we living in this hellhole?" I asked him before speeding past. But - we're Canadians, and this is what we're used to. These last few years of mild temperatures and no snow - too weird. Now it feels like Canada - bitter cold and wind, lots of ice and snow and faceless people dressed in bulky shapeless black, who are not necessarily Muslim.

I am working, working. Fun! Getting ready for the first U of T class of term tomorrow. Making plans for a reading/storytelling series on the Danforth, though not till May. Thinking about the next trip. Getting my book about writing out to my favourite critical editors, in preparation for possible self-publishing there too. Oh, and I just heard from the man whose business is to help people self-publish. This is what he wrote about the Beatles manuscript:
What a wonderful book this will make! I love the writing, the story, the diary entries. It's excellent. I would love to be the publisher of this book. 

Now that's what we call music to the ears. Last night, a communal dinner of roast chicken and trout, shared with Wayson, Jean-Marc and Richard, and then - Downton! Two solid hours because I missed last week's. Poor Anna. Poor Branson. Hooray Mrs. Hughes. Fun. I told the boys I want us to have a communal dinner every Sunday night through the winter. It'll get us through.

2 comments:

  1. Great news about the book Beth, delighted for you. DOWNTON is addictive, love it! Although I know where my station in life would have been should I have lived at that time! Ah well, can but dream! Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's the best soap opera ever - and the costumes! We need another handsome hunk to replace Matthew, though I'm very fond of the lovely Branson. Happy viewing.

    ReplyDelete