Thursday, April 28, 2016

Beth's writing classes

Teaching starts next week: Life Stories on Tuesday evenings at U of T and True to Life on Wednesday evenings at Ryerson. There's room left in the Ryerson class; please check this website under "Teaching" for more details. Hope to see you there!

I'm in bed. Whatever was incubating in Banff bloomed into a nasty bug on the plane. The irony is that I went to my Wednesday class at the Y anyway, because I can't not go - staggered around in the class, came home and collapsed, body aching, throat raw. The sad thing is that I can't see my grandchildren until I'm better, hopefully tomorrow. But mostly - ye gods, I'm glad this waited until I got home. There's nothing worse than being sick on the road. Wonderful to be in my own lovely bed.

There are long lists that I must get to when I can. But somehow, I gained a calm and peace on my trip that I'll struggle to hang onto here. The manuscript of the next memoir is in pretty solid shape, at least for this draft. I am carrying the beauties of this magnificent country in my heart, as I cough and sneeze. There's so much going on in this city, it's ridiculous. Hot Docs!

If I'm well, I'll be going to this:

Library workers are at a critical stage in bargaining with the library board.  It could go either way in the next few days. 
The board could double down and refuse to address conditions that make library work precarious and further weaken service.
Or, the board could address concerns of library workers and supporters of Our Public Library and create the conditions that will produce better services for Torontonians.
This latter outcome will be more likely if supporters like you express your views now.
In the coming days, I will let you know specifically how you can help, starting with an event you may wish to attend this Saturday. Please join us for a Teddy Bears Picket at Nathan Phillips Square from  11 am to 1 pm on Saturday, April 30th.

And here's something for your reading pleasure:

No comments:

Post a Comment